Job title: Multimedia Reporter
Reports to: Editor
Hiring Range: starts at $45,000
QCity Metro is seeking a Multimedia Reporter to cover general-assignment stories for our growing newsroom. This versatile reporter joins our editorial team at an urgent time for local journalism and Black press. Our ideal candidate is a strong writer and interviewer able to craft narratives, profiles and breaking news with a conversational tone. You’re a relationship-builder who understands the nuance of reporting stories for and about the Black community. The reporter will report to the managing editor.
About QCity Metro
QCity Metro is a news, business and culture platform with a predominately Black audience in Charlotte, N.C., and surrounding areas. QCity Metro promotes Black excellence, social connectedness and civic engagement, both online and through events. Founded in 2008, QCity Metro is one of the nation’s first digital-only news organizations founded to serve a local, Black audience.
Essential duties & responsibilities
- Cover a range a beats including Black-business, the Historic West End neighborhood, HBCU news, local government, religion, culture and lifestyle.
- Focus on how local happenings in Charlotte affect it’s Black communities
- Identify trends, develop stories and pursue investigative work to uncover stories that other media organizations are not reporting on.
- Research and write a variety of storyies and series for publication on QCity Metro, it’s special accounts and newsletters.
- Work with the editor and other reporters to identify sources and potential story material
- Get to know the Black community by attending relevant events, exploring the neighborhoods, and making connections with business owners, politicians, and other sources in Charlotte.
- Publish 3-5 stories each week
What you’ll need to succeed
- Some existing knowledge of the Charlotte area and it’s Black communities
- Ability to analyze and synthesize data
- Writing, self-editing and time-management skills
- Ability to meet deadlines
- Ability to work on multiple story ideas simultaneously
- Use data-driven reporting techniques to uncover stories
- Identify which public meetings to attend and cover them live or via social media
- A commitment to ethical, accurate, inclusive reporting
- A good understanding of how to obtain and use public records
- Ability to identify good story ideas that deliver on our mission and resonate with readers
- Ability to synthesze and present complex information in a highliy accessible, engaging and clear manner for a wide range of audiences
- A collaborative spirit and prove ability to work well in a team environment
- Healthcare subsidy
- Unlimited PTO (after probationary period)
- Monthly technology allowence
- Paid parental leave (after probationary period)
- Professional development opportunities
- 401(k) retirement plan with employer match (after probationary period)
To apply: email cover letter, resume and clips to firstname.lastname@example.org