Job Title: Health Reporting Fellow, QCity Metro
Reports To: Editor
Hiring Range: $50,000 – $55,000
Summary: The Health Reporter covers a variety of health, healthcare and related topics, especially as they relate to Charlotte, N.C.’s, Black communities. In addition to website articles, the reporter will produce a twice-monthly newsletter.
The preferred candidate will have a college degree and, at minimum, three years of newsroom reporting experience, including experience covering a beat. Must live in Charlotte or be willing to relocate.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
Covers the health and healthcare beat in Charlotte, N.C. Topics include, but are not limited to, trends in health, the healthcare industry, public policy, insurance, common illnesses, health disparities, wellness practices, and public and environmental health. The reporter’s primary focus is on how health issues and policies impact Charlotte’s Black communities.
The reporter identifies trends, develops stories, and pursues investigative work to uncover stories that other media organizations are not reporting on.
The reporter researches and writes a variety of stories and series for publication on QCity Metro, its special accounts, and newsletters.
Works with the editor and other reporters to identify sources and potential story material.
Operates as a resource to identify opportunities for coverage related to
The reporter will publish, on average, three stories each week.
Other duties as assigned.
What you’ll need to succeed:
- Knowledge of the health beat
- Ability to analyze and synthesize data
- Writing, self-editing and time-management skills
- Ability to meet deadlines
- Ability to work on multiple story ideas simultaneously
- Use data-driven reporting techniques to uncover stories
- Identify which public meetings to attend and cover them live or via social media
- A commitment to ethical, accurate, inclusive reporting
- A good understanding of how to obtain and use public records
- Ability to identify good story ideas that deliver on our mission and resonate with readers
- Ability to synthesize and present complex information in a highly accessible, engaging and clear manner for a wide range of audiences
- A collaborative spirit and proven ability to work well in a team environment
About this Fellowship:
First-year funding for this reporting position will come from the Commonwealth Health Reporting Fellowship & Sustainability Initiative. Funding is administered through Local Media Association (LMA) and The Knight x LMA BloomLab. Neither the funder nor LMA will play a role in the selection, reporting, editing or publication of QCity Metro articles. QCity Metro intends to make this a permanent, full-time position after grant funding has ended.
About QCity Metro
Founded in 2008, QCity Metro is an independent, digital-only platform that publishes news and information relevant to Black communities in Charlotte, N.C.
- Healthcare subsidy
- Hybrid work environment
- Unlimited PTO (after probationary period)
- Monthly technology allowance
- Paid parental leave (after probationary period)
- Professional development opportunities
- 401(k) retirement plan with employer match (after probationary period)
Email cover letter, resume and clips to email@example.com, attention Glenn Burkins.