Crisis Assistance Ministry
Crisis Assistance Ministry’s mission is to provide assistance and advocacy for people in financial crisis, helping them move toward self-sufficiency. Our vision is to inspire our community to justice and generosity as we provide help, hope, and understanding to people struggling with limited financial resources.
We are professionals with experience in both the corporate and nonprofit sectors who have a passion for helping people and making an impact in the community. Career opportunities range from case management and customer service to fundraising and finance.
Crisis Assistance Ministry provides a rewarding career in a friendly, professional work environment and prides itself on providing competitive pay and benefits.
The Director of Development plays a critical role in advancing the mission and sustainability of Crisis Assistance Ministry through overseeing all aspects of fundraising, donor relations, and resource development initiatives. The Director of Development is responsible for the lifecycle of donor relationships, securing funding from various sources, and implementing strategies to increase the agency’s financial resources. The position will also oversee the agency’s development and implementation of strategic communications initiatives. This role combines expertise in development and fundraising with strong communication skills to effectively convey the organization’s mission, goals, and impact to various stakeholders, including donors, volunteers, clients, and the general public.
PRINCIPLE DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Develop and implement a comprehensive fundraising strategy that aligns with the organization’s mission, vision, and strategic goals. This includes setting fundraising targets, identifying funding sources, and diversifying the agency’s revenue streams.
• Cultivate and maintain relationships with individual donors, foundations, corporations, and faith partners. Implement strategies to engage and steward donors, including personalized communication, donor recognition programs, and regular updates on the impact of their contributions.
• Oversee and grow the agency’s direct mail fundraisers, ensuring implementation of best practices to advance this fundraising stream.
• Oversee the grant writing process, including identifying grant opportunities, developing compelling grant proposals, submitting timely and accurate grant applications, and managing reporting requirements.
• Oversee the major donor program and actively engage in major donor relationship-building activities.
• Oversee the donor database function that tracks donor information, contributions, and communication history, focusing on donor engagement, retention, and stewardship.
• Set goals and report on return on investment (ROI) for various fundraising activities; analyze fundraising trends and provide regular financial reports to key stakeholders.
• Collaborate with program leaders to align fundraising efforts with the organization’s programmatic goals.
• Develop and manage the development budget, ensuring responsible and efficient use of resources.
• Represent the organization at community events, networking functions, and relevant professional associations to enhance the agency’s visibility and expand its network of supporters.
• Ensure agency fundraising processes and procedures by creating and implementing standard operating procedures (SOPs).
• Develop and execute a comprehensive communications strategy. Create and implement a strategic communications plan aligning with the organization’s mission and goals. This includes setting clear objectives, identifying target audiences, and utilizing appropriate communication channels.
• Develop targeted communication materials to effectively engage and steward existing and potential donors.
• Serve as a spokesperson for the organization, representing its mission, programs, and impact to the media and other external stakeholders.
• Oversee the organization’s digital communication channels, including website, social media platforms, and email marketing campaigns. Develop engaging content, monitor online conversations, and manage online reputation. Leverage digital platforms to communicate the organization’s work effectively and engage with the online community.
• Ensure consistent branding and messaging across all communication channels. Develop marketing materials, including brochures, annual reports, and promotional items, to effectively communicate the organization’s impact and attract support.
• Establish key performance indicators (KPIs) and evaluate the effectiveness of communication initiatives. Use data and feedback to refine strategies and improve communication outcomes.
• Oversee media kits, press releases, and other communication materials as needed by the public.
• Oversee internal communication strategies to ensure consistent messaging and effective information sharing within the organization.
• Oversee the development and management of Crisis Assistance Ministry crisis communication plan.
Staff Development & Management
• Provide leadership to the development team to ensure strategic goals are met.
• Lead a high-performing development team and maintain a rewarding work environment that fosters creativity and a desire for continuous improvement.
• Support the agency strategy that employees are our number one asset with active, consistent, and relevant internal communications.
• Regularly inform and interact with employees to continually hear their voices.
• Integrate agency projects, services, and activities through various communications strategies.
• Provide staff/training development opportunities, provide clear and consistent communications to the team and entire staff, and review performance together regularly.
Leadership, Passion, and Teamwork:
• Strong commitment and passion for Crisis Assistance Ministry’s mission and ability to promote and communicate the philosophy, mission, and values of Crisis Assistance Ministry to external and internal stakeholders
• Highly collaborative and energized by a fast-paced environment with people dedicated to customer dignity
Skills and Expertise:
• A minimum of 5 years with demonstrated excellence in fund development and/or business development, including relationship management and cultivation of client/donors
• A demonstrated passion for helping people in poverty
• Experienced user of Microsoft Office Suite, social media platforms, and CRM software packages
• Strong interpersonal skills
• Ability to work effectively with a diverse group of people
• Excellent written, verbal, and interpersonal communication skills
• Experience managing multiple large projects simultaneously
• Extensive management experience with responsibility with multiple lines of business
• Adheres to the Association of Fundraising Professionals’ Code of Ethics and “Donor Bill of Rights”
• Outstanding and experienced public speaker
• Experience marketing to diverse populations using a wide-ranging set of tools
• Powerful presentation development and delivery skills
• Interest in innovative as well as traditional fundraising methods
• Demonstrated organizational, interpersonal, and relationship building skills
• Experience with and understanding of nonprofits
• Knowledge of industry standards and best practices regarding gift processing and donor records
• Self-motivated; able to work independently and as a team member
• Advanced degree or CFRE preferred
ABOUT CRISIS ASSISTANCE MINISTRY:
Crisis Assistance Ministry is Mecklenburg County’s Agency offering emergency assistance to low-income families. Specifically, Crisis Assistance Ministry helps families facing financial crisis by providing for basic needs, including emergency rent and utility assistance, clothing, furniture, beds, appliances, and household goods; fostering economic mobility through partnerships, one-on-one coaching, and support that help families rebuild financial stability; and empowering the community to advocate for people facing poverty. On a typical day, nearly 200 families seek assistance through the independent, nonprofit agency in Charlotte.