Title: Senior Vice President, Advocacy and Public Affairs
Reports to: President and Chief Executive Officer
Manages: Advocacy Team
Objective: Responsible for providing leadership and direction in developing and executing strategy for the Alliance’s advocacy platform in order to expand the organization’s visibility, relevancy, and effectiveness on key issues that will drive a positive, inclusive, and successful business environment for the Charlotte Region:
• Work closely with the President/CEO, Executive Committee, Board of Directors, and designated staff to drive organizational development and implementation of short and long-term tactics to fulfill the objectives of the strategic plan.
• Represent the Alliance and Charlotte region externally and internally as a policy trailblazer, and work to elevate the Charlotte Region’s competitiveness for investment and inclusive economic growth.
• Strategically advance the Alliance’s relevancy in public policy formation, political representation, and advocacy communications and increase awareness of its legislative agenda, referendum campaigns, membership programs and impact.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities (Including, but not limited to):
1. Identify, build, and sustain strategic partnerships with investors, the region’s businesses, industry associations, coalitions, and special interest groups, as well as grassroots networks and organizations that are counter to established Alliance goals.
2. Guide strategy, development, and execution of policy initiatives with regional significance (i.e., infrastructure to include transportation/mobility, water, 5G/IoT/AI, housing; education and workforce development; innovation; sustainability; systems governance).
3. Direct campaign strategy and implementation for ballot referendums related to Community Investment Programs and Transportation funding.
4. Serve as senior point of contact for Executive Branch, Congressional and Agency Officials, Governors, and other state/local leaders; inform and educate local, state, and federal officials of the Foundation initiatives, including them as appropriate.
5. Work with economic research team to benchmark region’s business climate against competitive peer/metro set; study and articulate market strengths and gaps, and work with partners to co-develop solutions that better position the Charlotte region for competitiveness.
6. Develop advocacy communications to keep Alliance investors informed and advance visibility of the region’s business community agenda.
7. Support President/CEO by serving as secondary spokesperson for the Alliance with media.
8. Serve as senior-level leader to assure ongoing collaboration among Alliance strategic pillars and departments and strengthening partnerships with key stakeholders in the community.
9. Lead operational, resource planning and management activities for Advocacy team, including oversight of two professional staff members.
10. Provide recommendations to the CEO during budget planning and management processes to ensure resources are allocated in accordance with vision and strategy.
Handle all other duties as assigned by the President/CEO
– Experience and ability to interact and influence decision-making at the highest level of management is required
– Strong communication and relationship-building skills; existing local government relationships a plus
– Ability to effectively managing complex projects and thriving in a fast-paced environment
– Strong knowledge of the Federal, state, regional and local legislative and policymaking processes
– Proven track record in crafting, developing, and lobbying for effective and successful policies and programs
– 15+ years’ experience working in government relations, public affairs, trade associations, advocacy/campaign communications, or policy-related fields
– 5+ years executive leadership experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience
– Position will require registration as a lobbyist in both North Carolina and South Carolina
– Bachelor’s Degree
Evaluation of Job Performance:
Bi-Yearly review with President/CEO
Salary commensurate with experience; eligible incentive structure based on individual, team, and organizational performance metrics
The Charlotte Regional Business Alliance champions, serves and works to unite a region comprised of people from all walks of life. We honor diversity, inclusion, and equity internally and externally. We are committed to advancing economic opportunity and prosperity for all across the Charlotte Region.