QCity Metro is a news, business and culture platform with a predominately Black audience in Charlotte, N.C., and surrounding areas. QCity Metro promotes Black excellence, social connectedness and civic engagement, both online and through events. Founded in 2008, QCity Metro is one of the nation’s first digital-only news organizations founded to serve a local, Black audience.
QCity Metro is hiring a multimedia reporter to cover general-assignment stories for our growing newsroom. This versatile reporter joins our editorial team at an urgent time for local journalism and Black press.
Our ideal candidate is a strong writer and interviewer able to craft narratives, profiles and breaking news with a conversational tone. You’re a relationship-builder who understands the nuance of reporting stories for and about the Black community.
The reporter will report to the managing editor.
- Generate news articles that are especially relevant to Charlotte’s Black community. The reporter is expected to pitch story ideas in addition to writing those assigned by the managing editor.
- Develop deep sourcing in underrepresented communities and with city leaders to create content about government, public safety, housing, employment, economic development and other topic areas.
- Collaborate with the editorial team to produce our daily Morning Brew newsletter.
- Deliver photo and/or video content for storytelling and to foster community conversations across our website and social media platforms.
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism or related field preferred
- At least 2 years of reporting experience within a newspaper or digital newsroom
- Strong writing and editing skills for a mobile-first audience
- Familiarity with retrieving public records through the FOIA process
- Knowledge of AP Style
- Photography/videography experience preferred
- Data skills are a plus
- Availability to cover evening and night meetings and occasionally work weekends
- For full-time W-2 employees, base salary commensurate with experience
- This is a grant-funded position for one year, with potential for an extension
- Email resume and three writing samples to firstname.lastname@example.org by July 31.
- All qualified applicants will be interviewed via teleconference
- Finalists who live in the Charlotte region will be interviewed in person; finalists who live outside of the Charlotte area may be interviewed via teleconference