POSITION TITLE: Middle School, Part-time Orchestra Instructor
DEPARTMENT: Middle School
REPORTS TO: Head of the Middle School
Position Purpose: The Middle School Part-time Orchestra Instructor is responsible for preparing curriculum, teaching Orchestra at the middle school level, collaborating with other department members, and creating a dynamic learning environment for students in the class.
Essential Functions (Orchestra Instructor)
- Teaches Orchestra (string instruments) to children in 5th through 8th grades
- Plans daily classroom work based on curriculum requirements
- Draws on content standards of the relevant curriculum frameworks to plan sequential units of study, individual lessons, and learning activities that make learning cumulative and advance students’ level of content knowledge
- Draws on results of formal and informal assessments as well as knowledge of human development to identify teaching strategies and learning activities appropriate to the specific discipline, age, level of English language proficiency, and range of cognitive levels being taught
- Proficient as musician to demonstrate musical scales, tones, and rhythm
- Instructs students in music theory, harmony, composition, music appreciation, performance
- Interacts well with students to recruit them to the music program
- Collaborates well with other fine arts’ instructors
- Conducts group rehearsals and instructs members in fundamentals of musicianship and ensemble performance
- Incorporates appropriate technology and media in lesson planning
- Bachelor’s degree or post graduate work in music or music education
- Piano proficiency preferred
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills
- Demonstrated skills as musician and teacher
Physical Requirements and Work Environment
- Works in an environment dealing with a wide variety of challenges, deadlines and a varied and diverse array of contacts
- Be able to occasionally lift up to 30 lbs.
It is the policy of Charlotte Country Day School not to discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, disability, veteran status, or any other basis protected by applicable law. This policy extends to recruitment, employment, promotion, demotion, transfer, layoff, termination, compensation, training, benefits and all other terms and conditions of employment.