POSITION TITLE: Middle School Instructor, Language Arts / Social Studies
DEPARTMENT: Middle School
REPORTS TO: Head of the Middle School
POSITION PURPOSE: The Middle School Language Arts / Social Studies Instructor is responsible for preparing curriculum, teaching Language Arts / Social Studies at the 5th and 6th grade level, and creating a dynamic learning environment for students in the class.
- Prepare materials and classrooms for class activities.
- Prepare course materials such as syllabi, homework assignments, and handouts
- Manage the classroom to insure successful learning for every student
- Plan and conduct activities for a balanced program of instruction, demonstration, and work time that provides students with opportunities to observe, question, and investigate.
- Teach the curriculum reflecting knowledge of the subject matter and of specific learning styles of your students
- Instruct students individually and in groups, using various teaching methods. (iPad)
- Initiate, facilitate, and moderate classroom discussions or activities
- Utilizes up-to-date technology into lesson plans and classroom management
- Establish clear objectives for all lessons, units, and projects, and communicate those objectives to students.
- Compile, evaluate and/or grade students’ class work reflecting learning styles of students
- Maintain student attendance records, grades, and other required records
- Prepare, administer, and grade tests and assignments in order to evaluate students’ progress.
- Maintain contact with students and parents with effective and regular communication
- Meet with parents and guardians to discuss their children’s progress, and to determine their priorities for their children and their resource needs.
- Participate in the planning, development and evaluation of curricula, course materials and methods of instruction.
- Collaborate with other teachers and administrators in the development, evaluation, and revision of middle school programs.
- Maintain expertise in field through ongoing professional development demonstrating a commitment to field of study or knowledge of learning styles
- Attend professional meetings, educational conferences, and teacher training workshops in order to maintain and improve professional competence.
- Other duties as assigned
- Bachelor’s degree or post graduate work in subject matter
- Experience teaching Language Arts / Social Studies at the 5th and 6th grade level
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills
- Understanding technology in curriculum design and classroom presentation
- The ability to coach or lead clubs considered a plus
It is the policy of Charlotte Country Day School not to discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, disability, veteran status, or any other basis protected by applicable law. This policy extends to recruitment, employment, promotion, demotion, transfer, layoff, termination, compensation, training, benefits and all other terms and conditions of employment.