Discovery Place brings science, nature, and design together to create transformative experiences that enable our community to understand, enjoy and apply science to their lives. Discovery Place is the largest non-profit science, technology, engineering, and math (STEM) education provider for our region and is home to the largest collection of living animals in Charlotte. As a community resource for nearly 75 years, we serve a diverse constituency across the Carolinas and strive to make STEM education accessible to all.
Our advancement department is seeking a key member of our fundraising team that will contribute strong written communication skills to craft winning grant proposals to grow our foundation and government philanthropy. The Coordinator will spend significant time pursuing contributed revenue by writing proposals for new pursuits and providing proper stewardship of current donors. He/she is expected to seek and utilize relevant data and research to build compelling cases for support of Discovery Place’s mission, programs, exhibits, and initiatives. The Coordinator will work with cross-departmental teams to track deliverables and milestones related to grant proposals and performance; participate in donor cultivation meetings; craft grant reports; support donor stewardship; and conduct prospect research. The Grants Coordinator will report to the Director of Institutional Giving and will work collaboratively with the Advancement, Finance, and Learning Experiences departments. A team-player attitude is essential as this role will be expected to assist the Advancement department at events and on other assignments and initiatives that support the organization.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Be key contributor to meeting and exceeding the foundation and government philanthropy annual revenue goal of $1.1M by writing and submitting persuasive grant proposals to foundations and other grantmaking organizations, tracking the status of proposals and following up to provide additional information as required by funding sources
- Coordinates and manages participation across departmental teams at Discovery Place whose input is pertinent to specific grants (including sharing information required for grant, and communicating and enforcing deadlines to ensure timely preparation, review and submission of grant requests).
- Collaborates on the development of new grant opportunities in partnership with cross-functional teams
- Identifies, evaluates, and prioritizes prospects. Duties include conducting prospect research, tracking leads and developing prospect and funder profiles for organizational leadership
- Responsible for maintaining timely and accurate data in our financial/grant tracking systems (NetSuite & Altru) for cross-departmental communication and financial reporting purposes
- Maintains grants calendar and ensures all proposal and reporting deadlines are met. Disseminates grant award details and reporting responsibilities to all relevant Discovery Place staff
- Supports relationship building with new funding sources leading to invitations to apply for support; establishes and maintains frequent personal contact and relationships with current and prospective grantmaking organizations’ representatives and program officers; and appropriately stewards relationships with Grantmakers to position Discovery Place for additional funding opportunities
- Participates in donor cultivation meetings
- Efficiently prioritizes projects to keep multiple, simultaneous grantmaking efforts moving in a timely manner and meeting deadlines
- Oversees prompt acknowledgements of grants received
- Stays current on industry and grantmaking trends relevant to role of Grants Coordinator at Discovery Place
- Assists with departmental and organization event
- Other duties as assigned
- Energetic professional with 2-3 years of experience in fundraising and proposal writing, as well as excellent writing, speaking and organizational skills with high attention to detail
- A solid understanding of project budgets as they relate to proposals and grants
- Ability to recognize and communicate strategic opportunities
- Experience using online databases and other sources to locate biographical, financial, and philanthropic information
- Ability to interpret mission-related research and content for the layman and expert alike
- Must be a self-motivated team player who possesses problem-solving skills and the ability to work autonomously, handle multiple tasks, meet deadlines, and works well under pressure
- Ability to manage projects and is receptive to input and feedback to improve performance
- Ability to work some nights and weekends as required
- Ability to travel to Museum locations (Charlotte, Huntersville, Rockingham)
- Commitment to and enthusiasm for Discovery Place’s mission and science, nature, and design education
- Willingness to provide writing samples upon request
- Knowledge of history and trends within the non-profit sector and the local and national philanthropic communities
- Experience working in a development department or in a fundraising role
- Altru/Blackbaud/NetSuite database experience
Please include a copy of your cover letter along with your resume.
Employees of Discovery Place should uphold the mission, vision and values of the organization. We create positive change in our communities through our four core values: (1) science leads us, (2) equity drives us, (3) integrity guides us, and (4) innovation energizes us. We value the diversity of opinions and intellectual thought and encourage an environment where employees can share ideas openly.
The foregoing description is not intended and should not be construed to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities of this job. Other duties may be assigned. This job description may be changed to include new responsibilities and tasks or change existing ones as management deems necessary