Heart Math Tutoring is a Charlotte, North Carolina-based nonprofit that recruits and manages volunteer tutors to spend one hour per week helping elementary students develop the strong foundation in math and enthusiasm for academics needed for long-term success. Tutors use our proven curriculum and are supported by a Heart Program Coordinator at each school site. The program is effective in-person or virtually. We are excited to add a Director of Development and Community Engagement focused on securing the philanthropic funding and volunteer tutors needed to bring one-on-one tutoring to thousands more students in Charlotte! Annual funding and volunteer tutor needs are expected to grow from $1.4M and 1,300 tutors today to $2M and nearly 2,000 tutors annually in Charlotte three years from now.
• Plan, execute, and lead Heart Tutoring’s fund development and volunteer recruitment efforts with the goals of:
o Securing financial resources needed for the following school year (program is “pre-funded” by 1 year).
o Lead the team to ensure 50 students per school have the tutors needed by October 1 in a typical year, and a 95% fill rate from there (measured 12/1, 1/1, 2/1, 3/1, 4/1).
o Maintaining or increasing donor retention and acting with long-term strategy in mind.
• Manage key external relationships. Cultivate, solicit, and follow-up with a portfolio of donors, funding partners, and volunteer partners. Identify, cultivate, and solicit new partners and prospects.
• Organize others to meet fund development and volunteer recruitment targets, working with the Executive Director, Board of Directors, volunteer ambassadors, staff across the organization, and 3+ direct reports (initially, the Donor Relations Coordinator, Grants Manager – part time, and Volunteer Outreach Coordinator – part time).
• Develop and oversee Heart Tutoring’s marketing collateral and strategic messaging to external partners.
• Working with the Grants Manager, submit written proposals/applications and associated reports.
• Participate in Heart Tutoring events and/or represent Heart Tutoring at community events, as needed, for prospect development and donor/partner stewardship.
• As a member of the Leadership Team, contribute to organization-wide planning (strategic, annual, quarterly) and regular strategic conversations and solutions on cross-functional issues. Study best practices and take action to support Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion efforts underway at Heart Tutoring.
You will be successful in this role if:
• You are passionate about Heart Tutoring’s mission, believing that all children have the potential to achieve at their grade level in math and that math proficiency unlocks confidence and opportunity in children’s lives.
• You offer 7+ years of work experience, including prior success in fund development, with components including grants management, corporate/foundation solicitation, stewardship, major giving, and board engagement.
• You are excited to develop relationships that result in a “sale” and have a track record of doing so, including leading external meetings and acting as a spokesperson for an organization.
• You have demonstrated success leading others and/or managing staff.
• You are skilled in writing and strategic communications.
• You are highly organized and thrive in execution-oriented roles. You have been successful in fast-paced and/or growth-oriented organizations that are committed to high standards and high levels of accountability.
• You demonstrate Heart Tutoring’s core values – student centered, gratitude, growth mindset, precision and professionalism, and civic engagement.
We are an equal opportunity employer committed to building an inclusive work environment and supporting racial equity. We offer competitive benefits and salary. To apply, please submit a cover letter explaining your interest and a resume as soon as possible to email@example.com. Target start date is March 1st, 2021.