About Discovery Place:
One of the leading hands-on science museums in the nation, Discovery Place brings science, nature and design together to create transformative experiences that enable the community to understand, enjoy and apply science to their lives.
Discovery Place is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit and a hub for science education and exploration in the Carolinas through four distinct museum experiencesDiscovery Place Science, Discovery Place Nature, Discovery Place Kids-Huntersville and Discovery Place Kids-Rockingham.
Discovery Place serves more than 750,000 people a yearthrough Museum visits, interactive educational programming and community outreach initiativesshaping a future where people embrace science to create opportunities, build hope, solve problems and bring positive change for our world. In 2017, Discovery Place was named as a finalist for the National Medal by the Institute for Museum and Library Science.
Discovery Place seeks an energetic, creative individual to produce high-quality video content that deepens and broadens engagement with the Museums. The Digital Media Producer serves a vital role in a highly collaborative marketing department that supports many internal stakeholders including development efforts, ticket sales and the experience team.
Reporting to the Director of Content and Social, the Digital Media Producer will film and edit video content focused on inspiring minds through science, nature and design. Projects include, but are not limited to, Museum exhibition promotional videos, leadership vignettes, STEM learning videos and social media contentall to be packaged for sharing across various digital channels.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- In collaboration with the Director of Content and Social, lead project management of video efforts including planning, filming and editing of video projects.
- Shoot high-quality video using the Museums camera, video and sound equipment, adhering to best filming practices.
- Ensure all video efforts align with Discovery Places brand guidelines, mission and strategic values.
- Build a comprehensive video library focused on positioning the Museum as a thought leader in STEM.
- Create a variety of engaging video content to be used in organic posts and paid ads across all Museums social media platforms.
- Photograph Museum exhibits, Members-only experiences and special events for social media and other initiatives.
- Archive media assets and maintain a highly organized digital storage system.
- Work with the Director of Content and Social to maintain and build the Museums YouTube channel content.
- Bring an innovative and creative approach that encourages curiosity and new ideas as it relates to video production.
- Other duties as assigned.
- 1-5 years of video experience in a professional setting.
- Bachelors degree in film, photojournalism, digital media or related field.
- Excellent communication and writing skills.
- Strong photography, production and editorial skills.
- Proficiency in photo and video editing software.
- Strong attention to detail to ensure consistent production quality and aesthetic across projects.
- Experience working with a wide variety of on-camera subjects.
- Ability to manage multiple projects and deadlines at the same time.
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to collaborate across departments and teams.
- Proficiency in Microsoft technology such as Outlook, Excel, Word and PowerPoint.
- Portfolio/samples required for consideration.
Working Conditions: We are currently working in a hybrid model. This position is in the office several days a week, with opportunities for remote work. This is not a remote-only position. Weekend and evening hours are required as workflow necessitates.
Travel: Ability to travel to our four local museums occasionally, with limited other travel.
**Must Include a Cover Letter
Employees of Discovery Place should uphold the mission, vision and values of the organization. We create positive change in our communities through our four core values: (1) science leads us, (2) equity drives us, (3) integrity guides us and (4) innovation energizes us. We value the diversity of opinions and intellectual thought and encourage an environment where employees can share ideas openly.
The foregoing description is not intended and should not be construed to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities of this job. Other duties may be assigned. This job description may be changed to include new responsibilities and tasks or change existing ones as management deems necessary.