The Controller is responsible for the management of accounting operations of Discovery Place, Inc., a Not For Profit company which includes the production of accurate monthly financial reports in accordance with generally accepted accounting principles, maintenance of an adequate system of accounting records, timely review of the accounting records, maintenance of a comprehensive set of control, the collection and production of the annual budget and the management of annual financial and tax reporting. The Controller will direct and coordinate accounting activities as it relates to payroll, data analysis, payables, fixed assets, general ledger, inventories, and receivables.
The primary responsibilities of the Controller are as follows:
- Responsible for the maintenance of a documented system of accounting policies and procedures
- Responsible for recruitment, hiring and supervising of employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; and development of accounting employees, as needed
- Ensures that accounting staff are adequately trained and knowledgeable of operations, policies, and procedures
- Provides financial reports information, training, and assistance to management
- Oversee the operations and the personnel of the accounting department including accounting related functions at outside locations
- Oversees all accounting functions and ensures that all accounts payable, accounts receivable, daily sales, contribution, payroll and journal entries are recorded, collected, paid and/or submitted in a timely manner.
- Ensure that all reconciliations are completed each month including bank reconciliation and all significant balance sheet account either by preparing schedules and reconciliations or reviewing schedules and reconciliations prepared by others
- Manage the progress of projects and grants against budgets – reconcile activity on a monthly basis in collaboration with the Project and Grant managers, research and resolve discrepancies, and prepare the end of term financial reports
- Prepare monthly entries for recognition of contributed and grant revenue
- Prepare any monthly closing entries not prepared by others
- Review and posts all entries prepared by accounting staff
- Maintain a system of controls over accounting transactions
- Responsible for the orderly filing of accounting documentation
- Prepare timely and complete financial statements for the CFO
- Review departmental financial statements prepared by the staff and distributes to the appropriate department personnel
- Along with the CFO, meets with departments periodically to discuss financial results of their respective areas
- Provide periodic benchmark, financial and operating metrics to the Senior Team
- Manage the production of the annual budget and forecasts
- Calculate variances from the budget, researches variances and reports all variances to the CFO
- Provide ad hoc reports and analysis as requested
- Coordinate the provision of information to external auditors for the annual audit
- Manage compliance with local, state, and federal government reporting requirements and tax filings
Management of finance department budget
- Responsible for management of the departmental budget process including the production of budget worksheets, receipt of budget information from the departments, finalization of the budget and input of the approved budget into the accounting system.
- Reviews analysis of activities, costs, operations and forecast date of the accounting department to determine progress towards stated goals and objectives and report activities to the CFO
Other projects as assigned (deadline provided at time of project assignment)
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The Controller candidate should have a bachelor’s degree in accounting and 10+ years of progressively responsible experience. Accounting experience in a Not For Profit company is required. CPA or CMA certification preferred.
Oral and written communication skills are a must. The individual must be able to communicate in a clear and concise manner both orally and in writing.
Must have the ability to read and comprehend simple instructions, short correspondence, and memos.
Ability to calculate figures and amounts
Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form. Ability to deal with problems involving several concrete variables in standardized situations.
To perform this job successfully, the individual must have solid computer skills and be proficient in Microsoft Excel spreadsheet software. Knowledge of NetSuite Accounting software; Blackbaud Altru, and Paycom payroll systems is a plus.
Working Conditions: Primarily in an office environment. Will be expected to travel as needed to other museum locations. Periodic weekend or evening work is expected.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this Job, the employee is regularly required to sit. The employee is frequently required to reach with hands and arms and talk or hear.
The Controller must be proficient in accounting, possess analytical and problem-solving skills in order to analyze information and research and resolve issues in a timely manner. Accuracy and attention to detail is a must.
The individual must follow the policies and procedures and support the goals and values of the Organizations. The employee must develop strategies to achieve thee Organizational goals, adapt strategies to changing conditions.
The individual must be highly motivated and a self-starter that works well independently, with others and in a group setting. He/she must be well organized, efficient and flexible to complete work in a timely manner, meet deadlines and successfully manage the changing workload and competing demands and multiple projects.
Oral and written communication skills are a must. The individual must be able to communicate in a clear and concise manner.
The individual must be emotionally grounded and able to manage difficult or emotional situations, responds promptly to customer (both internal and external) needs for service and assistance.
Employees of Discovery Place should uphold the mission, vision and values of the organization. We strive to provide exceptional service through four core values: uncommon courtesy, the pursuit of personal excellence, teamwork and inclusion. We value the diversity of opinions and intellectual thought and encourage an environment where employees can share ideas openly.
The foregoing description is not intended and should not be construed to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities of this job. Other duties may be assigned. This job description may be changed to include new responsibilities and tasks or change existing ones as management deems necessary.