TreesCharlotte plants, preserves and celebrates our city’s urban forest. Since our inception seven years ago, we have planted/distributed more than 32,000 trees, given out more than 41,000 seedlings and engaged nearly 17,500 volunteers. We accomplish this through tree giveaways and plantings in neighborhoods, schools, parks, churches and other non-profit spaces. We love bringing communities together through the beauty, health and gift of trees.
Position: Community Tree Educator
Salary: $40,000 annually
Overview: Charlotte has embraced the mission of TreesCharlotte by helping us plant tens of thousands of trees since our start in 2012. Now, thanks to a significant gift from the Knight Foundation, it’s time to expand our footprint with our first-ever Community Tree Educator, our resident trees expert. Much of this job is about interacting with the public, whether it’s speaking at events or conducting workshops or appearing on television to talk trees. Since this is a new position, it has enormous possibilities for an innovative, energetic and resourceful candidate to equip future tree advocates.
Specs of the job
Adult education: TreesCharlotte gets many calls from residents and civic groups asking for tree advice. Duties include, but are not limited to:
• Creating and conducting workshops, classes, tree walks and other interactive events to educate citizens about trees
• Playing a prominent planning and teaching role at TreesCharlotte’s annual Big Tree Summit
• Assessing tree needs for NeighborWoods candidates
Children’s education: Schools love us, too. Duties include, but are not limited to:
• Growing and enhancing the TreesCharlotte K-5 Tree Champions program, where school educators are equipped to deliver a tree curriculum to students
• Creating and delivering programming for schools, camps, Freedom Schools and other educational opportunities
Tree preservation program: TreesCharlotte is creating a pilot tree preservation program for West Charlotte, which would help underserved residents care for their aging canopy. This position will take a lead position in developing this program.
Expertise: This position will provide tree expertise for TreesCharlotte staff and constituents, including writing content for our website and social media.
Keys to Success:
• Bachelor’s degree (or higher) or extensive experience in horticulture, urban forestry, ecology, environmental education or related field of study. Ideal candidate has arborist certification or is willing to pursue
• Love of trees and competency in tree and plant identification in the Charlotte region
• Self starter that isn’t afraid to propose and try new ideas
• Comfort and experience speaking to groups and individuals in an easy-to-understand style
• Talent working with children
• Ability to take new concepts and develop concrete programming
• Develop and manage budgets
• Skill at communicating tree advice, expertise in writing and video
• Willingness to work some evenings and weekends and have reliable transportation to travel throughout Charlotte
How to apply
Send a resume and a concise cover letter explaining why you are a good fit for the job to email@example.com.