Tico Matlock, who goes by his stage name “Otto Braz,” is a Charlotte-based rapper. After going on his first tour earlier this year, he decided it was time to help elevate other local talent.
On Friday, July 29, Matlock will host “Almost Never Counts,” an event that looks to amplify the voices of up-and-coming musicians.
The show’s lineup will consist of North Carolina-based rappers Dante M’s, Dom Martin, Pretti Fun, Jarren J., Savon, Pray4Seven, Real Reiko and Sinsei, with a performance by Matlock himself. The Charlotte-based clothing brand, Nu-MarsCreations, will also make an appearance with some exclusive gear.
Originally from New Brunswick, New Jersey, Matlock moved to Charlotte more than a decade ago and has been rapping since he was 6 years old.
“In this city, you see the same faces, so I want to keep creating different versions of “Almost Never Counts,” Matlock said. “And a lot of people feel like they have to go elsewhere to be successful, but I don’t believe in that. Charlotte is what you make it.”
Matlock gives a special thanks to the venue owner, Noc Noc Productions, the venue manager, The Musical Mystique, and his DJ, “Feat. YaGirl,” for providing him with this opportunity. If you are interested in supporting these artists, click here to buy tickets.
Here are some other events happening in the QCity this week:
- Christmas in July at Cook Out Summer Shootout: Get a head start on the holiday season. Bring a toy (new or gently used) to the Charlotte Motor Speedway for free admission.
- Trivia at Kilted Buffalo Plaza Midwood: Grab a bite (and maybe a drink) and test your knowledge.
- Guided Tour at the NASCAR Hall of Fame: Get an up-close look at homages to some of racing’s most notable figures like Bubba Wallace and more.
- Jambox Jam Night: Listen to other musicians of varying skills perform at this community jam session. You can also join in and play some tunes of your own.
- To Kill A Mockingbird at Belk Theater: See Academy Award winner Aaron Sorkin’s on-stage adaptation of the classic Pulitzer Prize-winning novel.
- TNT Tuesday: Grab your friends and enjoy discounted tacos tequila, and more after work.
- Respect the Mic!: Enjoy live poetry, reggae, hip-hop and more while helping yourself to all-night drink specials.
- Live Art and Diasporic Dance: Experience a night of dancing, art and more that pays homage to the African diaspora.
- Queen City’s Black Legacy Walking Tour: See the impact of Black history and Black heritage in Uptown Charlotte.
- Homegrown Comedy Show: Have some laughs and listen to some of Queen City’s own comedians.
- Signature Nights at The Brooklyn Collective: Enjoy complimentary champagne and coffee while viewing the work of local and international artists.
- The Little Mermaid: Head to Belk Theater to see the colorful and musical Disney classic come to life on stage.
Amanda Harry contributed to this report.