Charlotte-Mecklenburg police used DNA and a federal grant to make an arrest in a sexual assault case dating back more than two decades, the department announced Wednesday.
On June 5, 1995, a 23-year-old woman told police she was walking on Nations Ford Road when two armed men robbed her of money and jewelry. One of the men also sexually assaulted the woman.
The victim was treated at Carolinas Medical Center, and a sexual assault kit was completed. The sexual assault kit was initially tested in 1995, CMPD said, and additional testing was done last year as a part of a federal grant the department received.
Based on the results of that latest test, police on Wednesday arrested Nathaney Davis, 43, and charged him with first-degree rape, first-degree sex offense, first-degree kidnapping, and robbery with a dangerous weapon.
Mecklenburg jail records show that Davis also was arrested in December, accused of assault and battery and communicating threats. He was out on bail when police arrested him in connection with the 1995 rape.
In other public-safety news…
Shooting victim dies
A man who was shot Sunday in Northeast Charlotte has died from his wounds. Charlotte-Mecklenburg police identified the victim as Subhi Elmasharawy, 22.
Elmasharawy was shot in the 2000 block of Pimpernel Road just after 9 p.m.
As of the date of this posting, police had not made an arrest in the case. Anyone with information is asked to call 704-432-TIPS to speak with a homicide detective, or call Crime Stoppers at 704-334-1600, or visit the Crime Stoppers website at http://charlottecrimestoppers.com.