With Thanksgiving behind us, we’re in the heart of the holiday season. Not only is it starting to look a lot like Christmas, but also it’s feeling that way with unseasonably cold temperatures. In between your Christmas shopping, you may want to head out to some of the cool things taking place.
For those who can’t get enough of the holidays, the Uptown Tree Lighting and Christmas Vespers Service should be on your list. Both events are FREE!
The Hornets play two games at the Spectrum Center this weekend. They have won two in a row at home, can they keep the streak going?
Hear a soulful voice or jam out to Soul Food with Leela James and GOODIE MOB both performing live.
Keep scrolling and check out this week’s picks below.
Monday is Charlotte’s 250th Birthday. You’re looking amazing for your age!
Have a great weekend!
(Sun.) — Come hear your yuletide favorites as the Johnson C. Smith University Concert and JCSU Alumni choirs spread holiday cheer at the annual Christmas Vespers Service. Don’t miss out on one of Charlotte’s oldest Christmas traditions. Admission is free and open to the general public.
(Tues.) — Nominated for three Tony Awards in 2013, including Best Musical, A CHRISTMAS STORY, THE MUSICAL, brings the classic 1983 movie to life on stage.
We’ve got a full page of things to keep you entertained through Sunday. Visit our special Weekend Events Page for the full listing.
This week’s Editor Picks:
- Uptown Tree Lighting (Thurs.) — The annual Uptown tradition is happening at a new location — Tryon and 7th Streets.
- Leela James (Thurs.) — The top-charting R&B soul songstress will be performing live.
- The Outcome (Thurs.) — Celebrate the closing of the fall 2018 art residency at the McColl Center and see what current and alumni artists have been working on during and after their art residencies.
- Profound Gentlemen Annual Soiree (Fri.) — Enjoy live jazz, a variety of food vendors, while hearing stories from educators on a mission to impact students.
- Charlotte Hornets vs. Utah Jazz (Fri.) — Rising star Donovan Mitchell and the Utah Jazz are in town to face the Hornets who look to win their third game in a row.
- Know Your Status: World AIDS Day Event (Sat.) — The Charlotte Alumnae Chapter of Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Inc. presents the 8th annual event featuring free HIV and other medical screenings, speakers, music, giveaways and more.
- GOODIE MOB: CeeLo Green, Big Gipp, Khujo & T-Mo (Sat.) — The legendary southern hip-hop group from Atlanta who brought you hits like Soul Food, Cell Therapy and Dirty South, is performing live.
- Charlotte Hornets vs. New Orleans Pelicans (Sun.) — The Hornets close out their four-game home stand against Anthony Davis and the New Orleans Pelicans.
If you’re hosting an event, be sure to submit it. It could end up as an Editor’s Pick.
*While we do our best to confirm events, contact event organizers for questions.