Who doesn’t love long weekends? Many of us have Monday off in observance of Veterans Day. Make sure to thank those who served — not only this weekend — for their sacrifices. With that said, an extra day means no need to go to bed early or settle in on Sunday. Take advantage!
Johnson C. Smith University is the place to be this weekend for band geeks of all ages and HBCU alumni. The inaugural Big HBCU Classic Battle of The Bands is taking place this Sunday. You may recall that Queen City Battle of the Bands didn’t happen this year and is moving to Houston in 2019. Ahead of Sunday, ESPN Charlotte will present a youth step show on Friday and a high school battle of the bands competition on Saturday.
Keep scrolling and check out this week’s picks below.
Have a great weekend, Charlotte!
(Sat.) — This is the last weekend to learn African-inspired dance moves with Moving Spirits. Join this free community workshop for children and adults.
We’ve got a full page of things to keep you entertained Friday through Sunday. Visit our special Weekend Events Page for the full listing.
This week’s Editor Picks:
- Eclectic Soul Sessions (Thurs.) — Charlotte poet, Sir Abstraxxx and QC Social Lounge presents Eclectic Soul Sessions – a poetry and R&B open mic event and social experience. Sir Abstraxxx was one of our 5 spoken-word artists showing love to the QC.
- Piano Jazz – A Billie Holiday Tribute (Thurs.) — International Recording Artist Nicci Canada will pay homage to jazz legend Billie Holiday with a free tribute concert.
- Salute Her Charlotte (Fri.) — An evening celebration to recognize dynamic women who have made substantial contributions in their communities and are breaking down barriers. Special guest, singer/songwriter Calvin Richardson.
- Gastonia Fall Festival (Fri. – Sun.) — Enjoy art, food, rides and games, beer and wine garden, music and more.
- An Ivy Visionary Affair: (Sat.) — Semi‐Formal event hosted by the Ladies of the Rho Psi Omega Chapter of Alpha Kappa Alpha, Sorority, Inc.
If you’re hosting an event, be sure to submit it. It could end up as an Editor’s Pick.