Who doesn’t love long weekends? We’re celebrating Labor Day, the unofficial end of summer, and there’s plenty of stuff to do.
College football is back and there’s a slate of games in the area.
- Johnson C. Smith at Wingate (Thurs.) — JCSU looks to prove doubters wrong this season, and it starts with the opener against the Bulldogs.
- Belk College Kickoff: West Virginia vs. Tennessee (Fri.) — Davidson Day School graduate Will Grier will lead WVU’s high-powered offense against the new-look Volunteers.
- UNC Charlotte vs. Fordham (Sat.) — Coming off a disappointing 2017 season, the 49ers look to bounce back.
If you aren’t into college football, that’s okay. Check out the Editor’s Pick section for some other fun events going on.
September and October are packed with big concerts. You want to get your tickets now because we listed 6 hip-hop and R&B concert tours coming to Charlotte.
Have a great holiday weekend!
We’ve got a full page of things to keep you entertained Friday though Sunday. Visit our special Weekend Events Page for the full listing.
This week’s Editor Picks:
- Charlotte Knights vs Durham Bulls (Thurs.) — This is your last chance to catch a Knights home game this season.
- Pizazz Smooth Jazz Festival (Fri.) — Legendary saxophonists Kenny G and Dave Koz headline this evening of jazz.
- Matthews Alive (Fri – Mon.) — The Town of Matthews’ annual carnival and festival is back. Don’t miss out on Saturday’s parade.
- Bearden Birthday Bash (Sat.) — Celebrate the life of Romare Bearden with a free concert featuring the smooth sounds of artists Shableek and Ken Ford.
- The Cherry Reunion & Parade 2018 (Sat.) — Come celebrate the historic Cherry neighborhood’s 127th anniversary.
- Jazz Under the Stars (Mon.) End your Labor Day with some live music and wine as you watch the stars under the night sky at the Daniel Stowe Botanical Garden.
If you’re hosting an event, be sure to submit it. It could end up as an Editor’s Pick.