School’s back in session for many students on Monday (we can’t wait to see the traditional first day of school pics).
Check out a few back-to-school related events happening this weekend that can help make it a successful year for students.
- Charlotte Area Kids Expo: Carolina Courts in Indian Trail. A ton of resources and free family activities. Saturday, 10 a.m. to 3 p.m.
- E-2-D Laptop Computer Distribution: ImaginOn Library. CMS students with financial need can get a laptop with new software. First come, first served. Saturday, 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. Cost: $60
- The Big Cut: McCrorey YMCA. Free book bags and haircuts. Hosted by Power 98’s Ms. Jessica. Sunday, 2 p.m. to 6 p.m.
Once you come up for a breather, get out and have some fun at the events below.
We’ve got a full page of things to keep you entertained Friday though Sunday. Visit our special Weekend Events Page for the full listing.
This week’s Editor Picks:
- The Lion King (through Sept. 9) — The live-action musical of the Disney classic opened Wednesday and features a Charlotte native as Young Simba.
- Carolina Panthers vs New England Patriots (Fri.) — The Panthers have a huge preseason test with Tom Brady and the Pats in town.
- Black Food Truck Friday (Fri.) — There was a huge crowd last week at what is quickly becoming the Friday night hangout.
- SEC vs. ACC Alumni Bash (Sat.) — Fans from two of college football’s powerhouse conferences will get together to rep their schools with pride.
- Charlotte Popsicle Fest (Sat.) — The weather should be nice so an adult popsicle on a rooftop seems quite appropriate.
- 2018 Queen City Women’s Equality Festival (Sat.) — It may be celebrating women, however, this event has something for the entire family.
- Jessica Lá Rel – The Sit In Concert (Sun.) — End the weekend with something intimate and soulful that reflects on the Civil Rights Movement.
If you’re hosting an event, be sure to submit it. It could end up as an Editor’s Pick.