What’s Happening, Charlotte?
Black dads in America don’t always get their props.
With that in mind, local author and fashion consultant Ryan Jor El was moved to create Black Fathers Rock, an awards event to spotlight black fathers who are making a difference at home and in their communities.
Tonight at Pease Auditorium at CPCC, he will honor six Qcity fathers, all selected by a diverse committee. The honorees announced so far include:
• Braxton Winston, activist of the year
• Eugene Price, senior father of the year
• Sport E. Odie, entrepreneur of the year
• Eric Montgomery, dapper dad of the year
• Fred Shropshire, father of the year
Tickets are $30-$50 and can be purchased here.
Culture Blocks Community Dinner (Friday)
Mallard Creek Recreation Center, 2530 Johnston Oehler Road
Do you live in the Mallard Creek, Prosperity Village or University City North? Join friends, family and neighbors for a free meal, live music (Dapper Street Jazz Band) and a conversation about the arts, science, history and heritage opportunities you want to see in your parks, libraries and recreation centers. More info.
The Burn (Saturday)
Johnston YMCA, 3025 N Davidson St.
Start working on your New Year’s resolution by getting that summer body right with a workout. Feel the burn and sweat out all those bad habits. More info.
Friday, Feb. 23
Saturday, Feb. 24
• Gala Musical Tribute Honoring William Ivey Long
• Queen City Black Heritage Festival
• CharLIT Tournament Week Student Day Party
• Lit. for the Culture!
• Creative Clay Workshop Series by Clayworks – Family Day
• Drawing Techniques with Dr. Bradley Sabelli
• The Tavern Takeover with Willie Walker & Conversation Piece
Sunday, Feb. 25
Editor’s Note: We can’t include it if you don’t listed it. Submit your event here.