News & Buzz

SWAT standoff with suspect ends quietly in east Charlotte

A standoff between a suspect and SWAT officers ended quietly Sunday morning when the man who had barricaded himself inside an east Charlotte home gave himself up.

Omar Franklin

Police identified the man as 48-year-old Omar Franklin.

According to CMPD, officers were called to a home in the 7600 block of Holly Grove Court at 6:46 a.m. The caller said someone had possibly been shot.

When officers arrived, family members had already escaped the house and told police that Franklin had fired a gun near his girlfriend’s head. (She was treated at the scene for a minor injury.)

When officers tried to contact Franklin, he refused to come out. Officers evacuated nearby neighbors as a precaution. Franklin later surrendered after a SWAT Team and CMPD negotiators were brought to the scene.

He was booked in the Mecklenburg jail on charges of assault with a deadly weapon, resisting a public officer, discharging a weapon inside an occupied dwelling and assault with a deadly weapon in the presence of a minor. He posted bail and was released, according to jail records.

More Stories from Qcitymetro

Comments

Most Popular

Popular barber at No Grease was among 3 men shot and killed late Tuesday, media reports

Popular barber at No Grease was among 3 men shot and killed late Tuesday, media reports

Charlotte has a new support group for black women coping with infertility

Charlotte has a new support group for black women coping with infertility

Real Talk: Dr. Ian Smith dishes the skinny on weight loss <i class="fa fa-play-circle-o"></i>

Real Talk: Dr. Ian Smith dishes the skinny on weight loss <i class="fa fa-play-circle-o"></i>

U.S. Supreme Court: Sex offenders have a right to social media

U.S. Supreme Court: Sex offenders have a right to social media

Our Partners