Suspect arrested in drive-by shooting

Police arrested a 23-year-old man in north Charlotte Friday for suspected involvement in a drive-by shooting that left one dead and three injured.

Charlotte-Mecklenburg police arrested a man in north Charlotte Friday morning for suspected involvement in a drive-by shooting last week.


Levi Johnson Jr.

According to police, warrants were obtained for 23-year-old Levi Johnson Jr. that included two counts of first degree murder and two counts of attempted murder.

Police said Johnson was stopped in the 1500 block of Cottonwood Street and brought to police headquarters for questioning. He is currently in Mecklenburg County jail, said police.

Police named Johnson as the first suspect in an alleged drive-by shooting in the 6300 block of Reagan Drive that killed Inna Xiomara Gonzalez, 21, and Davion Najee Funderburk, 22, last Thursday afternoon. Police said two others were injured.

Initial police reports said detectives believed the suspect pulled up alongside the victim’s vehicle and began shooting.

Hidden Valley Elementary School was put in a one-hour lockdown because evidence gathered at the scene led police to believe the suspect’s vehicle was in the area.

Anyone with information about this incident is asked to call 704-432-TIPS. Detective Morales is the lead detective assigned to the case.

More Stories from Qcitymetro

Most Popular

Police charge two children, 11 and 12, with involuntary manslaughter

Police charge two children, 11 and 12, with involuntary manslaughter

"Black don't crack," but it can

“Black don’t crack,” but it can

CATS gives free rides on holiday buses

CATS gives free rides on holiday buses

What's Happening, CLT: Dec. 6-8 weekend guide

What’s Happening, CLT: Dec. 6-8 weekend guide

Our Partners