The Charlotte-area crime rate fell 24.7 percent in the first four months of this year, the Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police Department reported today.
Through the end of April, property crime fell 24.3 percent, while violent crime declined 26.9 percent. Thirteen homicides were reported, compared to 31 in the same period in 2008, a 58.1 percent decline.
Among the statistics:
- Total robberies decreased 30.3 percent.
- Rape offenses rose 1.2 percent.
- Aggravated assaults declined 25.5 percent.
- Burglary fell 24.7 percent (-24.7 percent residential, -24.6 percent commercial).
- Vehicle thefts decreased 35.7 percent.
- Larceny cases declined 22.3 percent (larcenies from autos -30.6 percent).
- Arson cases declined 24.7 percent.